Are you looking for the textbook method of teaching pdf, the importance of textbook.characteristics of the textbook, types of textbooks, essay on the importance of textbooks,textbook method of teaching Slideshare, need and importance of textbook, the purpose of textbooks are here in this article…
- A textbook is a book used for the study of a subject.
- Students use a textbook to learn facts and methods about a certain subject.
- Textbooks sometimes have questions to test the knowledge and understanding of the learner.
- The concept of textbooks has changed in the last century. It is basically used as a source of information, Now it becomes as a course of study a set of unit plan and learning guide as well.
- A textbook is usually lent to students by a school to accompany a course the school is teaching.
- There are several different approaches for teaching a child to become productive, educated learners.
- This traditional approach uses graded textbooks or workbooks that follow a scope and sequence.
- Each subject is covered in 180 daily increments per school year for a span of 12 years.
- Teacher’s manuals, tests, and record-keeping materials are usually available.
- A workbook is a type of textbook that has only practice questions and exercises.
- A booklet containing problem and exercise that a student may work directly on the pages
- Workbooks are very useful tools when used in conjunction with a great textbook or lesson plan.
- Workbooks are designed not to teach but to provide practice and to highlight areas that need more learning.
Definitions of Textbook
Oxford English dictionary:
“Textbook is a tool both for the pupil and the teacher”
“It is a standard book for any particular branch of study”
“A book designed for classroom use, carefully prepared by experts in the field and equipped with the usual teaching devices”
“Textbook is a basic source of ideas and information. It presents the material in an organized sequence, regulated for reading skills and can be used to stimulate many kinds of activities”.
- It should have a clear statement of the author’s theory, point of view, and purpose.
- It should recognize the desirable aims of education.
- It should be recognized to employ significant instructional aids
- It should be typed attractively and clearly.
- It should be according to the mental level of the students.
- It should be according to the demand of the modern era.
- It should employ significant instructional material.
- It should be typed clearly.
Weaknesses of the textbook approach
- The textbook/workbook approach doesn’t take into consideration children’s individual learning style or their interests.
- Lake of direct experience
- May does not reflect students Needs
- information may go out of date
- Activities may boring
- Textbooks don’t encourage original, independent thinking as much as nontraditional approaches.
Strengths of the textbook approach
- Everything is laid out for ease of use.
- It has definite levels of accomplishment.
- Testing and assigning grades is easy to do.